CD-V Rot
K. B.
2012-03-02 11:01:16 UTC
I got my Yamaha CDV-S100 (plays 3" and 5" CDs/CD-Vs only)
out of storage recently and tried out several of my (about
25 year old) 5" CD-Vs.

One 5" CD-V: Anita Baker - Sweet Love 9 64001-2 (made in UK)
begins to play the video OK, but the sound gets
progressively more fuzzy (odd for PCM digital audio, it's
probably error interpolation doing its best) and the picture
gets progressively more "grainy" (no white sparkles typical
of Laser(Disc) rot).

All of my CD-Vs made in Japan play OK.

Anyone else observed 5" CD-V rot?

Kirk Bayne
alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
<http://avdtv.tripod.com/avdtv.htm>
b***@yahoo.com
2012-03-02 13:25:24 UTC
Post by K. B.
I got my Yamaha CDV-S100 (plays 3" and 5" CDs/CD-Vs only)
out of storage recently and tried out several of my (about
25 year old) 5" CD-Vs.
One 5" CD-V: Anita Baker - Sweet Love 9 64001-2 (made in UK)
begins to play the video OK, but the sound gets
progressively more fuzzy (odd for PCM digital audio, it's
probably error interpolation doing its best) and the picture
gets progressively more "grainy" (no white sparkles typical
of Laser(Disc) rot).
All of my CD-Vs made in Japan play OK.
Anyone else observed 5" CD-V rot?
Kirk Bayne
alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
<http://avdtv.tripod.com/avdtv.htm>
I have not had any problems with rot, but there appears to have been a
mastering problem with Yngwie J. Malmsteen's Rising Force CD-V.
Although an NTSC disc, it was mane in the UK. There is a lot of buzz
in the video's audio track.

I had a Zenith LDP-510 that was able to play CD-V. Sadly, when it
broke down, the repair shop was unable to acquire new parts from
Thompson Consumer Electronics. The Pioneer LD-V8000 I acquired from
the movie theatre I worked at, is really sweet and plays very nicely,
but it will not play CD-V. I think is been more than a decade since
I've watched the Yngwie disc. Also, with a player that can't play
CD-V, I'm unable to play the Billy Joel, Honesty CD-V that I own.

Cheers to you,
Uncle Billy
Hicksville, New York
kbahr
2012-03-03 00:48:46 UTC
Yes, I have seen laser-rot with 5" CDVs.

It's hard to say the actual problem from your description.

One issue could be low RF signal from the disc. Either something
settled on the lens or a capacitor is going bad. As the RF signal
gets weaker the audio will start having dropout static first and as it
gets worse the video will start to show issues.

The other would be that laser-rot starts either from the inside or
outside edge of the disc and grows inward. As you get toward the
outer edge the signal would start getting worse as you describe but
laser-rot is normally random colored speckled dots.
publius
2012-03-03 03:24:10 UTC
Post by K. B.
I got my Yamaha CDV-S100 (plays 3" and 5" CDs/CD-Vs only)
out of storage recently and tried out several of my (about
25 year old) 5" CD-Vs.
One 5" CD-V: Anita Baker - Sweet Love 9 64001-2 (made in UK)
begins to play the video OK, but the sound gets
progressively more fuzzy (odd for PCM digital audio, it's
probably error interpolation doing its best) and the picture
gets progressively more "grainy" (no white sparkles typical
of Laser(Disc) rot).
All of my CD-Vs made in Japan play OK.
Anyone else observed 5" CD-V rot?
Kirk Bayne
alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
<http://avdtv.tripod.com/avdtv.htm>
I understand PDO UK was known for rot on standard CDs, so I'm not
surprised by this at all.
Manwhile, thank you for finally coming up with a model number of a
dedicated CD-V player. I've kind of wanted one for a while, because I
have several CDVs & VSDs, & two players (a Pioneer LD-V8000 & a Sony
HIL-C2EX) which don't play the smaller-sized discs. I'm pretty sure
there were a few others -- my father thinks he saw one at a department
store circa 1990 which had a built-in video monitor, a little Watchman-
style thing -- but they're awfully hard to track down.

--publius--