Tilt Motor Won't Stop Moving...
i***@gmail.com
2007-12-09 06:42:09 UTC
Okay, I'll describe this issue the best I can.. I was watching a movie
one day on my Pioneer CLD-3080 and all of a sudden the video started
to become garbled. I could hear some grinding noise from inside the
player (that would not go away), so I opened it up to take a look.
Seems that the tilt servo motor will not stop rocking back and forth.
Whenever the player is on, the motor does this. The laser assembly
tracks fine, the gears are good, etc., etc. I isolated the issue by
taking out the laser carrier (the piece that holds the lens, laser,
tilt motor, etc.) and fully investigating it for any visible physical/
exhasted parts. Could this be a bad resistor, capacitor, ic board,
etc? I know the motor is fine, it's whatever is controlling the motor
or delivering power to it that's screwed up. I shouldn't have to make
adjustments to any pots because that would just adjust angle and tilt
pattern. Anyone have any ideas as to what I can check? I've googled
the heck out of this and can't find anything at all. I can't afford to
buy another player (a good one anyway). Your help is greatly
appreciated. Thank you.
Kurtis Bahr
2007-12-09 21:57:44 UTC
There is a part beside the laser pickup, looks like a dark LED. This is the
tilt sensor. No you don't need to adjust it since it was working. Either
this is now bad or it is the electronics in the unit. You can also try
moving the tilt offset adjustment and return it to it's initial spot incase
the pot lost contact over time.

Hate to say it but unless you can repair it yourself it would most likely be
cheaper to buy a good players vs. the repair cost.

Kurtis
appreciated. Thank you.
Sam Goldwasser
2007-12-10 00:21:39 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
How critical is the tilt adjustment? What would happen if he simply
disconnected the tilt motor and moved it by hand to the point of best
operation for a particular LD?

i***@gmail.com
2007-12-10 01:14:08 UTC
--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/
Repair | Main Table of Contents:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/
+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm
| Mirror Sites:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html
subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.- Hide quoted text -
Wow...Would that work? Most of my LD's are in great condition, I
wonder if that would work? (At least for the most part)
Sam Goldwasser
2007-12-10 13:35:57 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
It's relatively easy to try. Unplug the motor and run wires to it from
outside the LD player. A single AA cell may be enough to run the motor,
certainly 2 in series.

I'd certainly be curious to know if this works. Really old LD players
don't have a tilt motor.

Nico de Vries
2007-12-10 22:15:01 UTC
Hello Group,

The tilt mechanism is primarily intented to enable the player to play
convex/concave discs. Apparently the tolerances for concave/convex warping
of discs are so wide that the focusservo and focus travel in the pickup
cannot bridge the maximum theoretical warpage. In theory, when the player is
not out of mechanical alignment it should play all flat discs with the tilt
mechanism in the center position.

There is however a catch to this all: the secondary function of the tilt
mechanism is to avoid contact between the upper lens in the pickup and the
rotating disc. When this happens the least damage is probably a scratched
disc, the worst is a total loss pickup and then most likely a total loss
player. I would not recomment controlling the tilt by hand using a battery
and some wires, as the disc spins at considerable speeds once inside the
player.

Later Pioneer players use the loading motor for tilting also. With these
models manual tilting would interfere with normal disc loading and
unloading.

Regards,

Nico de Vries
Post by Sam Goldwasser
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by Sam Goldwasser
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by Sam Goldwasser
Kurtis Bahr
2007-12-11 22:48:49 UTC
This depends on the player. With the newer players the same motor that
loads the try and raises the mechanical assembly to the LD also adjusts the
tilt. This one is old enough it may have a separate tilt motor.

As for playback. You can use a battery with the lead or manually turn the
motor to find the best setting. This this will work good for all you LDs in
mint condition. You can notice wavy lines in the ones not pressed as good
or with slight warpage.

Kurtis
i***@gmail.com
2007-12-12 01:17:16 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
Okay, I'll describe this issue the best I can.. I was watching a movie
one day on my Pioneer CLD-3080 and all of a sudden the video started
to become garbled. I could hear some grinding noise from inside the
player (that would not go away), so I opened it up to take a look.
Seems that the tilt servo motor will not stop rocking back and forth.
Whenever the player is on, the motor does this. The laser assembly
tracks fine, the gears are good, etc., etc. I isolated the issue by
taking out the laser carrier (the piece that holds the lens, laser,
tilt motor, etc.) and fully investigating it for any visible physical/
exhasted parts. Could this be a bad resistor, capacitor, ic board,
etc? I know the motor is fine, it's whatever is controlling the motor
or delivering power to it that's screwed up. I shouldn't have to make
adjustments to any pots because that would just adjust angle and tilt
pattern. Anyone have any ideas as to what I can check? I've googled
the heck out of this and can't find anything at all. I can't afford to
buy another player (a good one anyway). Your help is greatly
appreciated. Thank you.
How critical is the tilt adjustment? What would happen if he simply
disconnected the tilt motor and moved it by hand to the point of best
operation for a particular LD?
--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/
Repair | Main Table of Contents:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/
+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm
| Mirror Sites:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html
subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.- Hide quoted text -
I ordered a Service Manual about two weeks ago from what I thought was
a reputable company, but it seems either I got shafted or they take a
really long time to send out the links. Anyway, does anyone have a
service manual for a Pioneer CLD-3080? This is by far my favorite of
the laserdisc players I own (and one of better quality in my
opinion). I would love to get to the bottom of this issue. (Manual
positioning the tilt servo motor made no difference, as it didn't even
read a basic Audio CD, which doesn't rely on the servo motor...as long
as it's centered anyway.) Any help with this would be greatly
appreciated... Thanks for the help so far!!! I've tried everything
that has been mentioned here so far, so the issue is narrowed down at
least.
Sam Goldwasser
2007-12-12 02:29:01 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
Okay, I'll describe this issue the best I can.. I was watching a movie
one day on my Pioneer CLD-3080 and all of a sudden the video started
to become garbled. I could hear some grinding noise from inside the
player (that would not go away), so I opened it up to take a look.
Seems that the tilt servo motor will not stop rocking back and forth.
Whenever the player is on, the motor does this. The laser assembly
tracks fine, the gears are good, etc., etc. I isolated the issue by
taking out the laser carrier (the piece that holds the lens, laser,
tilt motor, etc.) and fully investigating it for any visible physical/
exhasted parts. Could this be a bad resistor, capacitor, ic board,
etc? I know the motor is fine, it's whatever is controlling the motor
or delivering power to it that's screwed up. I shouldn't have to make
adjustments to any pots because that would just adjust angle and tilt
pattern. Anyone have any ideas as to what I can check? I've googled
the heck out of this and can't find anything at all. I can't afford to
buy another player (a good one anyway). Your help is greatly
appreciated. Thank you.
How critical is the tilt adjustment? What would happen if he simply
disconnected the tilt motor and moved it by hand to the point of best
operation for a particular LD?
--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/
Repair | Main Table of Contents:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/
+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm
| Mirror Sites:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html
subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.- Hide quoted text -
I ordered a Service Manual about two weeks ago from what I thought was
a reputable company, but it seems either I got shafted or they take a
really long time to send out the links. Anyway, does anyone have a
service manual for a Pioneer CLD-3080? This is by far my favorite of
the laserdisc players I own (and one of better quality in my
opinion). I would love to get to the bottom of this issue. (Manual
positioning the tilt servo motor made no difference, as it didn't even
read a basic Audio CD, which doesn't rely on the servo motor...as long
as it's centered anyway.) Any help with this would be greatly
appreciated... Thanks for the help so far!!! I've tried everything
that has been mentioned here so far, so the issue is narrowed down at
least.
Didn't you say that even though the tilt motor was womping back and forth,
that it would still play?

But now it won't?

i***@gmail.com
2007-12-12 14:42:57 UTC
Post by Sam Goldwasser
Post by i***@gmail.com
> [...]
positioning the tilt servo motor made no difference, as it didn't even
read a basic Audio CD, which doesn't rely on the servo motor...as long
as it's centered anyway.) Any help with this would be greatly
appreciated... Thanks for the help so far!!! I've tried everything
that has been mentioned here so far, so the issue is narrowed down at
least.
Didn't you say that even though the tilt motor was womping back and forth,
that it would still play?
But now it won't?
--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/
Repair | Main Table of Contents:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/
+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm
| Mirror Sites:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html
subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.- Hide quoted text -
Sorry if I confused anybody, I meant the laser would initially track
on the laserdisc/CD, but it had sporadic video. Now it won't track at
all or even attempt to spin up. The only thing wrong is the tilt
motor...as far as I know.
Kurtis Bahr
2007-12-13 03:19:06 UTC
Starting to sound like you have more serious issues now. This is a lot more
information. Now you've either got the pickup going bad or maybe even the
power feeding the pickup going bad. Hard to say. My service manual is
micro-fische so I cannot help with that. You're really going to have to
debug this now.

Kurtis
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by Sam Goldwasser
Post by i***@gmail.com
Okay, I'll describe this issue the best I can.. I was watching a movie
one day on my Pioneer CLD-3080 and all of a sudden the video started
to become garbled. I could hear some grinding noise from inside the
player (that would not go away), so I opened it up to take a look.
Seems that the tilt servo motor will not stop rocking back and forth.
Whenever the player is on, the motor does this. The laser assembly
tracks fine, the gears are good, etc., etc. I isolated the issue by
taking out the laser carrier (the piece that holds the lens, laser,
tilt motor, etc.) and fully investigating it for any visible physical/
exhasted parts. Could this be a bad resistor, capacitor, ic board,
etc? I know the motor is fine, it's whatever is controlling the motor
or delivering power to it that's screwed up. I shouldn't have to make
adjustments to any pots because that would just adjust angle and tilt
pattern. Anyone have any ideas as to what I can check? I've googled
the heck out of this and can't find anything at all. I can't afford to
buy another player (a good one anyway). Your help is greatly
appreciated. Thank you.
How critical is the tilt adjustment? What would happen if he simply
disconnected the tilt motor and moved it by hand to the point of best
operation for a particular LD?
--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/
Repair | Main Table of Contents:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/
+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm
| Mirror Sites:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html
Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header
above
is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is
included
in the
motor...as far as I know.
Sam Goldwasser