Pioneer DVL-909 skipping back problem
bob
2007-09-14 00:16:27 UTC
I have a DVL -909 Laser disc player that has started skipping . It will play
for a while and then skip back to a few seconds before and replay over and
over again Once I forward past that area it may play for minutes until this
begins again.On a disc I tried yesterday it did this about 10 times on the
disc mostly near the start of play
I've tried several disc and cleaning the lens and its definitely the player
affects both sides of disc of Laser disc
I have the service manual but adjustments require special disc and remote
which I do not have
Would appreciate any thoughts
Thanks in Advance
bob
www.fixmytoy.com
Kurtis Bahr
2007-09-16 03:02:45 UTC
If it is doing it on every LD then you have a dead spot in the motor that
moves the pickup. If only one LD then probably the LD quality or laser
tracking servo adjustment.

Kurtis
www.fixmytoy.com
Blaine Young
2007-09-16 08:51:40 UTC
You could also look at the sled track. I've seen (on the DVL-919)
where the track is lost it's grease and the sled actually binds as it
moves down the track.
***@oz.net
http://www.blamld.com
Sam Goldwasser
2007-09-16 12:41:11 UTC
Post by Kurtis Bahr
If it is doing it on every LD then you have a dead spot in the motor that
moves the pickup. If only one LD then probably the LD quality or laser
tracking servo adjustment.
I believe he found a piece of debris (a bit of residual plastic)
in one of the gear teeth and removing that fixed it.

Capn Queeg
2007-09-23 06:55:50 UTC
I had a 909 that started doing this only on the B side, every LD at about
the same time or frame. I took it to be repaired at a local Pioneer
approved service center. Big mistake but I won't go into that. All I'll say
is 18 months later and after getting a consumer protection agency involved
I ended up with a rebuild from Pioneer instead of my original unit.

My 919 is doing this now. I contacted Duncan (I'm on the west coast). He
said this problem is usually due to a switch that needs to be reformed. He
knew the time/frames where it skips - there's two or three spots that you
can usually scan past and play the rest of the disc once you scan past
them.
www.fixmytoy.com
Kurtis Bahr
2007-09-24 02:51:30 UTC
Duncan is very good, better trained than me. I do have additional questions
though.

1) Is the side you are having troubles with CAV or CLV recorded?
2) If you flip the disc over and then put it in the tray, does the same side
of the LD now play fine?

You could either have a servo misadjusted if the same side fails when
playing as side A and side B or the tabs that holds the pickup movement
gears in place may be broke and the gears have too much play if a side B
only failure.

Otherwise one of the best to have seen and diagnosed a specific problem it
would normally be Duncan.

Kurtis
www.fixmytoy.com
Capn Queeg
2007-09-27 07:46:52 UTC
Hi Kurtis -

See replies marked with ##
Post by Kurtis Bahr
Duncan is very good, better trained than me. I do have additional questions
though.
1) Is the side you are having troubles with CAV or CLV recorded?
## Both CAV and CLV discs "skip"
Post by Kurtis Bahr
2) If you flip the disc over and then put it in the tray, does the same side
of the LD now play fine?
## The disc when flipped will play with no problems. Example sides 1 & 2 of
disc in player loaded normally. When player switches to "B" (side 2 of
disc) it will start to skip. If I stop the player and physically flip the
disc so that side 2 is "A", side 2 will now play fine. If I let the player
then switch to "B" (now side 1) it will skip.
www.fixmytoy.com
gamestar
2007-09-27 21:46:37 UTC
Hi all, my DVL-700 has started doing this as well. Side 1 will play just fine but when it
flips to side 2 it plays for a little bit then skips back. It does this only for the first one or
two chapters then plays fine if I skip ahead a chapter or two. It looks like there is not
enough grease on the track but also sounds like the laser is having a hard time reading
the disk. Any further suggestions? Thanks.
Kurtis Bahr
2007-09-28 02:32:38 UTC
The first thing I would check is the movement gears. The tabs tend to break
over time that hold them in position and the pickup will work fine for Side
A but for side B they tend to fall away from the track. You can order the
black piece that holds the movement motor and gears from Pioneer and replace
it or someone like Duncan or myself can fix this for you.

Kurtis
bob
2007-10-02 18:43:48 UTC
When mine did this recently It happened on either side and very regularly
like every 5 minutes
found the problem to be a grain of sand in the gears between the motor and
the gear that runs on the rack
from your description I'd check the rack for the side two for dust or any
obstruction
bob