Pioneer Elite?
brian
2004-10-26 04:09:59 UTC

Looking to replace my LD player and would like suggestions for a upgrade.
I'm assuming prices of players should be dropping rapidly with the DVD
release of Star Wars. Pretty sure I want a Pioneer Elite model but I am
open to any suggestions. A player with DVD would be nice but not necessary.
Please recommend model and price I should expect to pay. I am planning on
watching ebay over next few weeks but if you have other suggestions I would
appreciate those also.

Thanks
Brian
John339077353
2004-10-27 01:08:48 UTC
Post by brian
Looking to replace my LD player and would like suggestions for a upgrade
I am sure our other experts will reply here. For best results they say do not
get a combo ld/dvd player.
Kurtis Bahr
2004-10-27 02:41:56 UTC
First, what do you have now?

Second, why do you need an Elite model? The CLD-D704 is a very good unit.

Third, Star Wars was not the single item keeping LD people around, many
other factors.

Also; I would avoid the DVL combo units as the picture quality is a step
down from the 704 and they cost more. They are also harder to work on when
you have problems.

Kurtis
Brian
brian
2004-10-27 04:00:51 UTC

Hello Kurtis

Thanks for your reply
Post by Kurtis Bahr
First, what do you have now?
I have a Pioneer CLD??? That works maybe one out of 50 time you press play.
I took it for repair and for $30.00 the shop told me it was not worth
fixing.
Post by Kurtis Bahr
Second, why do you need an Elite model? The CLD-D704 is a very good unit.
I recently purchased a VSX-55RXi Elite Receiver. I am looking to upgrade
most of my system and I would like to keep it all Elite if I can. I am just
geeky that way.
Post by Kurtis Bahr
Third, Star Wars was not the single item keeping LD people around, many
other factors.
I totally understand that but I have always assumed Star Wars was a huge
factor for a lot of LD die hards. Which would lead to a recent flood of
available players???? I just started seriously looking this week so I may
be way off with this idea. My main LD interest are rare music vids.
Post by Kurtis Bahr
Also; I would avoid the DVL combo units as the picture quality is a step
down from the 704 and they cost more.
Thanks for the advice. Is the "704" considered the best? Does it play cd
video [that is not real important]. The main reason I was thinking of a
combo unit is because they seem to be the last ones made and I would like my
player to be as new as possible.

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

They are also harder to work on when
Post by Kurtis Bahr
you have problems.
Kurtis
Brian
Kevin Hawerchuk
2004-10-27 09:44:13 UTC
I think the release of the Star Wars DVD will have the opposite effect!
Instead of causing a flood of available players, it might cause a few
people to BUY players, once they realize that the ONLY unaltered
versions of the film on disc, are on laserdisc!
Kevin.
Pete Jones
Kevin.
John339077353
2004-10-27 18:55:00 UTC
Post by Pete Jones
Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe it would both decrease and increase sales on LD
players and the net result is no change????
That depends on the number of ld enthusiasts that die and the addition of new
enthusiasts.
Nicolas Santini
2004-10-28 01:09:31 UTC
Post by John339077353
Post by Pete Jones
Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe it would both decrease and increase sales on LD
players and the net result is no change????
That depends on the number of ld enthusiasts that die and the addition of new
enthusiasts.
One thing for sure, it DID result in an increase of the price of the
Star Wars "original" LDs, just look at the stats.
Kurtis Bahr
2004-10-28 02:11:21 UTC
The 704 is the best non-Elite unit and the best bang for your buck.

There are other units that are considered the best, they are Japanese
imports but the price is 4X higher than the 704. Unless you are a picky
videophile the 704 will make you more than happy. It was also the last high
performance non-Elite US model made. The Japanese models were made until
2002 or 2003, Nicolas would know when they stopped.

Kurtis
Post by brian
Hello Kurtis
Thanks for your reply
Post by Kurtis Bahr
Also; I would avoid the DVL combo units as the picture quality is a step
down from the 704 and they cost more.
Thanks for the advice. Is the "704" considered the best? Does it play cd
video [that is not real important]. The main reason I was thinking of a
combo unit is because they seem to be the last ones made and I would like my
player to be as new as possible.
Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Brian
They are also harder to work on when
Post by Kurtis Bahr
you have problems.
Kurtis
Brian
Nicolas Santini
2004-10-30 07:39:03 UTC
Post by Kurtis Bahr
The 704 is the best non-Elite unit and the best bang for your buck.
There are other units that are considered the best, they are Japanese
imports but the price is 4X higher than the 704. Unless you are a picky
videophile the 704 will make you more than happy. It was also the last high
performance non-Elite US model made. The Japanese models were made until
2002 or 2003, Nicolas would know when they stopped.
Kurtis
Hi-end LD-S9, HLD-X9 and DVL-H9 were built until May 2002, filling
orders received until January 2002.

Combi DVL-919 and entry level CLD-R5 are still in production. I have
seen some 919 with a build date of July 2004.