Who says Laserdisc players are not selling for big bucks anymore?
Julien Wilk (LDDb.com)
2011-09-20 15:43:44 UTC
But they must be a little "special" first!

Big Shoulder by Nam June Paik featured on artnet Auctions
http://www.prweb.com/releases/artnet-auctions/nam-june-paik-sale/prweb8808516.htm

<< Nam June Paik Big Shoulder, 1998 Antique cabinets, televisions,
laser disc player, laser disc 92 x 104 x 18 in. Est. US$425,000–
500,000 >>

Rgds,
Julien
http://www.lddb.com/ - The LaserDisc Database
Dave Garrett
2011-09-20 23:54:27 UTC
In article <25460dec-5a63-448d-8feb-352cca7abd48
@g30g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>, ***@gmail.com says...
Post by Julien Wilk (LDDb.com)
But they must be a little "special" first!
Big Shoulder by Nam June Paik featured on artnet Auctions
http://www.prweb.com/releases/artnet-auctions/nam-june-paik-sale/prweb8808516.htm
<< Nam June Paik Big Shoulder, 1998 Antique cabinets, televisions,
laser disc player, laser disc 92 x 104 x 18 in. Est. US$425,000?
500,000 >>
When I read the subject header, I thought this post was going to be
about that guy in the UK who's been trying to sell a nearly-new LD-S2 on
eBay for a sum that's usually only fetched by HLD-X9s and -X0s. But even
that can't compete with Nam June Paik, apparently.
mscott
2011-09-23 01:38:09 UTC
Today the single $250K bid didn't meet the reserve. It's hard to
believe that the seller would try to off this thing with condition
issues.

"Condition note: the far television on the Robot's left arm is
slightly dim, and the three monitors that form the eyes and nose are
currently receiving a weak signal, all of which may be adjusted by a
technician"

For a device that may be worth more than my house, I'd want it in near
new condition. I didn't see any evidence that this particular piece
incorportates a laserdisc player.

I'd be surprised if any of the electronics was still working in 100
years. Anyone care to venture on the value of this artwork in the
future?

Mike in Sacramento