Laserdisc smearing
Jonathan Fields
2011-10-30 17:05:05 UTC
I have the Elite Pioneer CLD-99 and on some LD movies, the smearing is
terrible. I have it hooked to a Toshiba 50 inch analog TV from 2000.
I've heard the Pioneer CLD-95 and CLD-97 does not have the smearing
problem, or the smearing is minimal.
I was wondering if the smearing occurs on the DVL-90 and DVL-91, as
they both have the variable Y and C noise reduction like the CLD-99,
but since they were made later on, I thought Pioneer may have fixed
this problem?
Does anyone out there have a CLD-97 or McIntosh laserdisc player for
sale, and not a ridiculous amount like it goes on E-Bay. I spent
$500.00 on the CLD-99 which had to be repaired three times. The first
was it had crosstalk, then died on me twice.
I also have the Panasonic LX-900, and I find it does not clean up the
picture when the NR is turned on, compared to the CLD-99, but there is
no smearing on the Panasonic. Seems like I can't win in any situation
with the players I have! Maybe my Panasonic needs repair as well?
And I keep hearing not to use the S video output, to use the composite
output instead?
Any info will be helpful. Thanks.
kbahr
2011-10-31 20:42:06 UTC
The first thing you should do is verify the black level has been setup
properly on your Toshiba TV. If it is too high the smear will be
worse. Also how much smear you get depends on the quality of the high
voltage power supply in the TV. Hate to say it but the Pioneer sets
were the best I ever saw at keeping this smear to a minimum.

As for the players, The CLD-95, CLD-97, LD-S2 and others will have
smear but to a lesser degree than the CLD-D703/704/79/99/LD-S9. I
have not personally seen a HLD-X0 but the only Pioneer player I've
seen that does not smear to some extent is the HLD-X9.

I do have a CLD-97 I could sell you. Wish you would have bought the
CLD-99 from me as I repair players and guarantee they are working to
top performance when selling. If you just buy off eBay then you are
always taking a chance if it is working properly or not. The CLD-97
has been tested and verified working and guaranteed when received so
My prices are like eBay prices.

Your Panasonic is working fine, Panasonic players do not have DNR
processing like the Pioneer units.

As for composite or S-Video, try both and see which one you get a
better picture with. TV's usually have extra processing when
splitting the composite to S-Video which is bypassed when you input S-
Video. Just try both and decide what you like best.

Kurtis
Jonathan Fields
2011-11-01 13:30:24 UTC
Post by kbahr
[...]