Squeaky laserdisc player
Trevor
2013-01-30 21:53:25 UTC
I have a Pioneer laserdisc player that squeaks quite loudly as it plays.
The sound changes as it plays, getting louder and softer, and
occasionally stops altogether. I don't have the model # right off, but
I'm guessing a belt needs to be replaced or lubed or something?

Thanks,
Trevor
Thad Floryan
2013-01-31 00:38:16 UTC
Post by Trevor
I have a Pioneer laserdisc player that squeaks quite loudly as it plays.
The sound changes as it plays, getting louder and softer, and
occasionally stops altogether. I don't have the model # right off, but
I'm guessing a belt needs to be replaced or lubed or something?
Definitely no lube!

I have a number of belt-driven devices (telescopes, turntables, drill
presses, etc.) and in the absence of replacement parts have rejuvenated
them simply by cleaning using "Formula 409" which removes any crud and
restores the necessary flexibility and "tackiness" needed in a belt-drive
system; ozone is what "hardens" belts and makes them squeaky in operation.

Given your email address, it appears you're in or near Scottsdale AZ
which is not a friendly place for rubber[ized] parts (e.g., belts or
auto tires (sidewall cracking, etc.)).

I spray a bit of 409 onto a Bounty [brand name] paper towel and rub
the moistened towel over the entirety of the belt until it's clean
and more-pliable and semi-sticky again and I've done that for decades
without any issues or problems. Product info here:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_409>
and
<http://www.formula409.com/>

FWIW, it was the US military that popularized the Formula 409 product
circa early 1960s by stocking it in the base/post commissary stores
and I've mentioned here in a.v.l that I've used Formula 409 to clean
LD assemblies many times over the years especially the top and bottom
rubber-like "grip mats" that secure an LD in place in the transport.
Such cleaning prevents slippage when the mats harden over time.

Thad
Trevor
2013-02-07 21:56:51 UTC
Post by Thad Floryan
Post by Trevor
[...]
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'm pretty sure my wife has some.

- Trevor
Trevor
2013-09-10 21:01:16 UTC
Post by Thad Floryan
Post by Trevor
I have a Pioneer laserdisc player that squeaks quite loudly as it plays.
The sound changes as it plays, getting louder and softer, and
occasionally stops altogether. I don't have the model # right off, but
I'm guessing a belt needs to be replaced or lubed or something?
Definitely no lube!
I have a number of belt-driven devices (telescopes, turntables, drill
presses, etc.) and in the absence of replacement parts have rejuvenated
them simply by cleaning using "Formula 409" which removes any crud and
restores the necessary flexibility and "tackiness" needed in a belt-drive
system; ozone is what "hardens" belts and makes them squeaky in operation.
Well, I finally got around to opening the thing up last night and
cleaning the one belt I could find without entirely dismantling it.
Unfortunately, the squeaking remains, and it actually seems to be coming
from a different area than where the belt is that I cleaned. Are there
belts underneath, in the center/back portion of the player? (It would be
nice to know whether it's worth disassembling further.) Or is the
problem likely caused by something else?

I guess a model number would be helpful, but I don't have it with me
right now. It's a Pioneer player that does both sides, if that helps at all.

Thanks,
Trevor
t***@gmail.com
2015-10-09 02:10:31 UTC
If anyone's still here, it's a CLD-D503. Any ideas on what would cause a loud squeaking noise that starts as soon as the disc starts spinning? It's now unbearable to play anything on it at all.
t***@gmail.com
2015-10-09 02:12:11 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
If anyone's still here, it's a CLD-D503. Any ideas on what would cause a loud squeaking noise that starts as soon as the disc starts spinning? It's now unbearable to play anything on it at all.
It actually sounds a lot like this:

c4urs11
2015-10-09 19:12:30 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
If anyone's still here, it's a CLD-D503. Any ideas on what would cause
a loud squeaking noise that starts as soon as the disc starts spinning?
It's now unbearable to play anything on it at all.
Try contacting Kurtis Bahr on www.avsforum.com.

Cheers!