Pretty funny
Mr. Mike
2011-06-02 18:04:43 UTC
I was in some local "thrift" shop yesterday, and they were selling
laser discs for $17.99-$19.99 EACH. This stuff was nothing special,
including what looked like someone's entire Clint Eastwood LD
collection. This store has sold laser discs in the past for a standard
price of $5.99 each ... which you can often avoid if you are buying
records (default price $1.99) and the LDs are in the middle of the
pile.
2011-06-02 20:11:35 UTC
Post by Mr. Mike
I was in some local "thrift" shop yesterday, and they were selling
laser discs for $17.99-$19.99 EACH. This stuff was nothing special,
including what looked like someone's entire Clint Eastwood LD
collection. This store has sold laser discs in the past for a standard
price of $5.99 each ... which you can often avoid if you are buying
records (default price $1.99) and the LDs are in the middle of the
pile.
I'm on New York's Long Island. We have a two-store shop called Mr.
Cheapo's. Both of their locations are down to their last handfulls
of LD titles. Unless it's a defect, all LD's are final sale.

It breaks my heart, seeing that I just acquired my latest LD player in
2006. It's a Pioneer LD-V8000 that I pulled out of an Interfilm
cabinet (i.e. "Mr. Payback - Billy Worlock & Ride For Your Life - Adam
West). I was not able to secure any of the Interfilm LD's (I think the
senior projectionist [unionized] swiped the four (4) RFYL discs right
before he retired). At the time I pulled the 8000 out of the cabinet,
the motor only had 800 hours of used, of its 10,000 hour lifespan. I
sold off most of my Uuchu Senkan Yamato (i.e. Starblazers) and
Ninjatai Gatchaman (Battle of The Planets) discs in 2007.

I don't have much left, Gatchaman II, box set #1 of Gatchaman III,
Yamato movies, Lupin vs. Clones, Lupin Trailer History, oddball
diagonstics discs, ALG Mad Dog McCree 1 & 2 and Dragon's Lair II: Time
Warp (2 copies).

Cheers to you,
Bill N.
Icon Science Fiction, Inc
20 Peachtree Ct.
Suite 103J
Holbrook, NY 11741
www.iconsf.org
c4urs11
2011-06-03 09:37:27 UTC
I don't have much left ... oddball diagonstics discs ...
Aha: oddball!

What's on their cover?

Cheers!
b***@yahoo.com
2011-06-03 10:56:46 UTC
Post by c4urs11
I don't have much left ... oddball diagonstics discs ...
Aha: oddball!
What's on their cover?
Cheers!
Hello,

It took me a few moments to find the crazy thing. It's called "Pioneer
Reference Disc GGV". I remember purchasing it on eBay, using it to set
my old CRT TV and then puting it into storage. Haven't touched the
setting on the TV since.

White background. Top and bottom edges of the jacket have a blue
stripe. Red square in the middle. Only played it once. Has some old
grany footage of what goes on in the pressing plant and eight (8)
diffrent test patterns.

I had the old "A Video Standard" LD. Sold it off years ago. I'm like
99.975% sure the company re-released it on DVD. I'm pretty sure I saw
the DVD at a Suncoast Video in my local mall. I think I remember it
being somewhere in the ballpark of $24 to $30.

Regards,
Bill N.
kbahr
2011-06-03 23:59:04 UTC
The GGV LD's are the ones Pioneer uses for their factory and service
alignments. there is a 8inch and 12 inch version.
Steve Fenwick
2011-06-05 01:56:28 UTC
Post by b***@yahoo.com
I had the old "A Video Standard" LD. Sold it off years ago. I'm like
99.975% sure the company re-released it on DVD. I'm pretty sure I saw
the DVD at a Suncoast Video in my local mall. I think I remember it
being somewhere in the ballpark of $24 to $30.
Yup, still from Joe Kane. And there are Blu-Ray and HD-DVD versions:

<http://www.videoessentials.com/products_main.php>

Steve
--
steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
publius
2011-06-07 02:33:30 UTC
Post by Mr. Mike
I was in some local "thrift" shop yesterday, and they were selling
laser discs for $17.99-$19.99 EACH. This stuff was nothing special,
including what looked like someone's entire Clint Eastwood LD
collection. This store has sold laser discs in the past for a standard
price of $5.99 each ... which you can often avoid if you are buying
records (default price $1.99) and the LDs are in the middle of the
pile.
It's true, retail pricing of LDs has a tendency to vary without rhyme
or reason, even in the same shop over time. Sometimes it's "oh, these
are obsolete, they're not worth much", other times "gee, these must be
rare & valuable!"

--publius--
Mr. Mike
2011-06-07 14:38:09 UTC
I revisited this store yesterday, and noticed that they had about as
many new laser discs, most of which were "reasonably" priced at $4.99
instead of $17.99 and higher. When the guy who is in charge of pricing
these saw me looking through the pile, he asked if I actually owned a
laser disc player, and was incredulous when I said yes. He said they
only sold a couple of discs at the high prices (no wonder). He
suggested if they didn't sell many more at the lower price, they might
have to get rid of them all. There was nothing really special in the
additions that I could see. There were several Disney titles and
Schwarzenegger movies that weren't there before, for example. About
the only thing of moderate interest was a multi-disc set of I,
Claudius.
Dax Sorrenti
2011-06-28 20:19:29 UTC
You must be in Vancouver....I picked up a bunch of them at the cheaper
price, and peeled off the sticker to see one below for $19.99. I
couldn't believe that anyone would pay that price for a LD in a thrift
store. It's one of the few places in the city that I've seen LDs for
sale without them being locked behind a glass counter, though.
When I was there, one of the employees said they were selling a lot of
them, so I guess the price was right for most people at $5.