LD-S2 and LD-V8000 picture quality questions
gumbyandpals
2011-07-15 00:17:30 UTC
I'm thinking of upgrading my laserdisc player and have read quite a
bit about the LD-S2 and LD-V8000. I don't care about flipping discs so
a dual side player is not necessary, but I do prefer a digital frame/
field store for CLV discs.

My three main picture quality concerns are false outlines (I can deal
with ringing but false outlines are annoying), CLV smearing, and
background noise level.

How do these two players stack up? I love the aesthetics of the S2 but
if I could get a more or less comparable image from the 8000 I'll
gladly pay less for one of those.

Players I've owned: CLD-59, CLD-D704, CLD-1010, Mcintosh MLD-7020
(CLD-97), CLD-R7G, Panasonic LX-900
Kev Haw
2011-07-15 03:08:58 UTC
In the past I've owned both the LD-V8000 and LD-S2.
From what I remember, I'd pick the LD-S2 over the LD-V8000 for shear
picture quality.
The LD-V8000 is good, but if memory serves me, you'll see less CLV
smear on the LD-S2. The LD-S2 has the best picture quality that I've
seen, aside from the HLD-X9, which I owned for about a year.
When it comes to your criteria, I'd actually put your Panasonic LX-900
ahead of the LD-V8000. The Panasonic has virtually no CLV smear and has
great natural low noise levels in the picture. The picture isn't the
sharpest though, on the LX900. The LD-S2 is superior in that regard.
I used to buy players with collections as a little ebay hobby years
ago, and have sampled many units, including most of the units you
mention!
My favorite players were the Runco LJRII (improved LX900 platform) and
the Elite LD-S2.
I did have a virtually new LD-V8000 unit for awhile. One thing for
sure, the LD-V8000 is much superior to the 2nd best industrial unit- the
LD-V4400.
The V4400 had the very worst CLV smear that I've ever seen. Mind
boggling.
Kevin
kbahr
2011-07-15 02:51:27 UTC
How did you like the 7020? The S2 will have a another step of lower
background noise and stable colors in the picture.

While the LD-V8000 is a very good player you will not like it if
ghosting or smear bothers you. I think the 97 is better than the
8000.

You can write me at kbahr(at)comcast(dot)net and we can talk as I
also sell players.

Kurtis
gumbyandpals
2011-07-15 11:43:51 UTC
My two current players are a CLD-1010 and a Panasonic LX-900. The 1010
is able to cut a lot more background noise out of the picture on less
than perfect discs and produces a very sharp picture. However, the
1010 has the ghosting problem. On good discs, the Panasonic is great.

I was initially impressed with the 7020 as it had a very noise free
picture and it had a very solid build quality but the smearing was
still too much for me, although dramatically less than the 704.

On my display, a Sony PVM-2950Q broadcast monitor, the panasonic and
1010 have virtually no smear. I'd be interested to find out if anyone
knows how the S2 compares to the 1010 for smear.

Joe
Kev Haw
2011-07-15 13:47:49 UTC
Joe, I also had a couple of CLD-1010's. It's been a few years but I
think the 1010 may be slightly better than the LD-S2 for smear. From
what I recall though, the LD-S2 was noticeably better than the D704 for
smear.
For sure, overall the LD-S2 is a solid stepup from the 1010. Watching
laserdiscs on the Elite LD-S2 is similar to watching dvds on an older
non-progressive scan dvd player. Great clarity with a smooth film-like
picture.
Kevin
kbahr
2011-07-15 20:34:28 UTC
Joe; Realize the CLD-1010 has the red laser like the HLD-X9 and HLD-
X0 so yes it will play less than perfect discs better.

For the smear, since you are using a CRT, the quality of the power
supply has a huge affect on the smearing and the brightness level. I
would say the S2 is close to the 97 in smearing. The S2 will have
lower background noise and stable colors than any of the players
you've seen before. That is where it is good. On my Pioneer Plasma
units I do not get any smear with any Pioneer unit. Likewise your
broadcast monitor will have a better power supply. This is where you
have to test the consumer units and find one with a high quality power
supply, power supplies in cheap sets have a hard time turning full on
to full off. This results to the smear. If you notice the smear is
always left to right bright to dark.

The LX-900U does have a nice picture but it also has a video AGC
circuit where you will not get the full contrast or dynamic level seen
with a Pioneer player. Maybe why no smearing issues

The HLD-X9 will not smear if you have the money to afford one. The
background noise is equal to the 704 and the picture will be sharp.

The S2 is know as the Cadillac of the US units. if you don't like it
then you'll need to stay with your current setup.
gumbyandpals
2011-07-15 21:40:59 UTC
Kevin and Kurtis, thanks for the very useful input. I hadn't thought
about the power supply of the TV as being a factor in the CLV smear
issue. The broadcast monitor is a relatively recent acquisition so I
have never tried one of the smearing players on it. Now I wish I still
had one laying around.

Any idea what the current going price of an LD-S2 is? I searched ebay
completed listings and it looks like the last few have gone unsold
(one was relisted).

Joe
Kev Haw
2011-07-15 22:18:30 UTC
I agree with Kurtis about CLV smear being a CRT issue.
Even on an LCD tv you won't notice the smear issue.
I once had an R7G that had a minor crosstalk issue on side B playback.
The crosstalk wasn't visible on my Sony LCD but was visible on my
Proscan CRT tube set!
I don't keep track of player pricing these days.
I highly recommend Kurtis as a source of good working high-end
laserdisc players!
Back when I was in the game, I often had Kurtis check players for
issues and repair players for me.
Kevin
kbahr
2011-07-18 22:46:27 UTC
Post by gumbyandpals
Kevin and Kurtis, thanks for the very useful input. I hadn't thought
about the power supply of the TV as being a factor in the CLV smear
issue. The broadcast monitor is a relatively recent acquisition so I
have never tried one of the smearing players on it. Now I wish I still
had one laying around.
Any idea what the current going price of an LD-S2 is? I searched ebay
completed listings and it looks like the last few have gone unsold
(one was relisted).
Joe
A lot of the time S2's don't sell on eBay as you can tell they are
just a re-sale person who doesn't really know what they have. When
you see units with no remote and the bottom door missing you can take
your chance on the condition of the unit. People want one they know
will work and that is why I normally sell my players while other only
get low bids. I always add an AC-3 RF output before I sell a 97 or
S2. There is one S2 that mentioned my name and I cannot really
remember if that is the one that I modified the analog audio board and
send it back and they installed or I did the complete job. It last
ended early when listed for $849 so I'd say it finally sold.

I so have a couple S2 I'm completing refurb on. One is in very good
condition with remote and manual. The other the side panels have
flaws and no original remote but I could supply one that would work
it.

Kurtis
gumbyandpals
2011-07-19 01:09:52 UTC
I'll hopefully get to see an LD-S2 in action in the next week or two.
Someone in my area owns one and I'm trying to arrange to see it in my
setup. If I like what I see, I may be contacting you Kurtis.

Joe
gumbyandpals
2011-07-24 02:32:21 UTC
I was able to play around with an LD-S2 for a few hours today and I
was generally very impressed. The low noise level is definitely its
main strength. I noticed an improvement on a number of discs. The
ringing and false outlining, while present, were not distracting at a
normal viewing distance. It smears, but not terribly.

While it's easily the best player I have seen, I'm not sure if I'm
ready to put up the money for one.

Joe