Best line doubler / quadrupler for LD?
h***@netzero.net
2013-06-02 22:03:02 UTC
My iScan HD+ has broken, and nothing current seems to be a good
replacement.

I am in search of a line doubler or quadrupler for a HLD-X9 that will
export progressive component via DB-15 or RCA plugs, and (hopefully!)
can zoom-in 'on the fly' to fit a letterboxed LD to a 16x9 display.

Any contenders currently in production, or otherwise that I can find
in the U.S. market ?

Thanks....
Thad Floryan
2013-06-02 23:40:09 UTC
Post by h***@netzero.net
My iScan HD+ has broken, and nothing current seems to be a good
replacement.
I am in search of a line doubler or quadrupler for a HLD-X9 that will
export progressive component via DB-15 or RCA plugs, and (hopefully!)
can zoom-in 'on the fly' to fit a letterboxed LD to a 16x9 display.
Any contenders currently in production, or otherwise that I can find
in the U.S. market ?
What I've been using is a YEM HSC-1125 HDTV Scan Converter. It's
a TV-studio-type product -- rack mountable though mine is simply
on a shelf. It handles even anamorphic LDs (e.g., STARGATE, et al)
and it also converts VHS tapes/movies to almost-DVD quality which
was a jaw-dropper the first time I saw that.

You might be able to find these on the used equipment market; I got
mine from a TV station (I think it was KGO in San Francisco) after
they were through testing HDTV transmission in the middle-to-late
1990s so it was essentially brand new when I got it and it still
works fine. Power is 100-240 VAC automatically adjusting (i.e.,
for Japan, USA, and the rest of the world).

It can also be remotely controlled over RS-232; its manual has all
the details. I have both the Japanese and English versions of the
manual and I just now scanned the English version (and the document
feeder worked perfectly). If you'd like a copy, you can download it
from here: only 573kB and 22 pages:

http://thadlabs.com/FILES/YEM_HSC-1125_HDTV_Scan_Converter.pdf

Hmmm, both Adobe Reader and Nitro 3 scale the PDF down to about 20%
because the scanned paged must be huge. I've already reassembled
the manual so I'm not going to scan it again with different settings
(of which I was unaware) since normal single-page-at-a-time scans
are normal-sized. I'm surprised the total file size is only 573kB.

Thad
h***@netzero.net
2013-06-03 23:30:27 UTC
Post by Thad Floryan
What I've been using is a YEM HSC-1125 HDTV Scan Converter. It's
Thad, I knew you would suggest something terrific but I suspect this
could take a while to locate!

H.B.
Thad Floryan
2013-06-04 01:18:59 UTC
Post by h***@netzero.net
Post by Thad Floryan
What I've been using is a YEM HSC-1125 HDTV Scan Converter. It's
Thad, I knew you would suggest something terrific but I suspect this
could take a while to locate!
I dunno. This search query "YEM HSC-1125 HDTV Scan Converter" found
this (obviously I skipped the refs to alt.video.laserdisc especially
the ones prior to 2013):

http://www.yenseng.com.tw/ENGLISH-NEW/product/streaming/product-YEM%20converters.htm

which looks like your best choice for current technology upconverters.

Might have to buy from Asia, though. In the 1990s I was dealing with
a fantastic company "Chinese Club Discount Centre" in Hong Kong; details
are on this page (which really needs to be reworked):

http://thadlabs.com/LD_info/index.html

I don't have a FAX machine any longer (in fact, I abandoned landlines
in 2002 and have been cellphone-only since then (actually 1992 when I
bought my first cellphone and only 2 others since then)) -- you'll
still likely need a FAX machine to contact them unless they have
online ordering. FAX is easier due to the time zone differences.

Thad
h***@netzero.net
2013-06-04 02:33:47 UTC
Post by Thad Floryan
I dunno. This search query "YEM HSC-1125 HDTV Scan Converter" found
Thad,

Thanks a lot... I will investigate this option further.

H. B.