DVL-909 - how can we tell on region-free and Macrovision?
m***@comcast.net
2009-05-07 22:14:23 UTC
I have an old DVL-909 and I think I recall (way back when) that this
player is both region-free (for DVDs) and Macrovision free, as well.
I don't believe I have any DVDs other than R1 - can someone tell me
how I can tell if this players has both of those hacks in place? Is
there something on the menu or some other way to tell?

Thanks . . .
hantaakiraa
2009-05-08 04:34:06 UTC
Post by m***@comcast.net
I have an old DVL-909 and I think I recall (way back when) that this
player is both region-free (for DVDs) and Macrovision free, as well.
I don't believe I have any DVDs other than R1 - can someone tell me
how I can tell if this players has both of those hacks in place?  Is
there something on the menu or some other way to tell?
Modded players allow you to select the region using the menu + remote
buttons: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/pioneer-dvl-909/311

I don't think players sold at retail in the US will be region-
selectable/Macrovision-free out of the box, I had to mod mine. I
think ones sold in Australia, etc. might have the region selection
hack in place, not sure about the Macrovision.

I tried a quick Googling for the photo instructions on how to do the
mods, but all I found was broken links, although they might be
archived somewhere. Also, I think only players with the old non-
italic Pioneer logo could be modded.
MScott
2009-05-08 04:41:22 UTC
I modified two of my 909's several years ago, but like you, I only have
region 1 DVD's.
No reason to ever check it out. Here are the instructions, once the
player is modified:

1. Turn the DVD player on without a disc in it.The front panel will read:
"NO DISC".
2. On the remote control, press "MENU"
3. The on-screen display should show "OSD"
4. Press "1" on the remote to choose "Initial"
5. Press "DISPLAY" on remote.
6. You should see the region code that the player is currently set to.
7. Press "CONDITION" on remote.
8. Press 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 to change the region code to the one you want.
9. The on-screen menu should display the following message:
OSD Region: 1 (or Region 2 or Region 3 ...etc.) Ver: 1.036/8 AVI: 3.31
10. Press "MENU" on remote control to confirm change.

At step 5 and 9, the 909 that I checked shows Ver: 1.378/8 AVI: 3.31,
so evidently, the Version is not critical. I also did the macrovision mod,
but
I didn't do the DTS mod since I have a DVL-91 and several other players
that handle DTS.

Mike in Sacramento
Thanks . . .
v***@gmail.com
2013-11-19 11:31:18 UTC
Post by MScott
I didn't do the DTS mod since I have a DVL-91 and several other players
that handle DTS.
Does anyone know how its done? I've looked online for the info.. I know its only for DVDs but I'll like to do it on my player. (If it can be done)

Thanks for your time.

(My Player is a DVL-909 Ver:1.210/8 AV1:3.31RAM)

MScott
2009-05-08 06:58:54 UTC
Post by m***@comcast.net
I have an old DVL-909 and I think I recall (way back when) that this
player is both region-free (for DVDs) and Macrovision free, as well.
I don't believe I have any DVDs other than R1 - can someone tell me
how I can tell if this players has both of those hacks in place? Is
there something on the menu or some other way to tell?
Thanks . . .
The Macrovision mod is pretty easy to check if you have a recorder.
I've used a JVC VHS and a DVD recorder with the DVD "South Pacific" that has
Macrovision encoding. Using a standard Toshiba DVD player as the source, I
get horrible color shifting on the recording. Using a modified 909, the
recordings are watchable. I don't think there is a way from menus and such
to tell if the 909 has been Macrovision modified.

Mike in Sacramento
Nico de Vries
2009-05-12 13:59:29 UTC
Hello Group,

The Macrovision off modification only works on older software (about VWY1545
and earlier). There is no way of telling it has been done from the menu's,
however opening up the player and checking for the required wire is quite
easy.

Nico de Vries
Thanks . . .
b***@gmail.com
2013-03-25 16:28:03 UTC
Beste Nico,

Ik zou je graag naar mijn elite laserdisc speler willen laten kijken, maar ben je gegevens kwijt. Je hebt er vorig jaar een AC3 mod opgezet.

Kun je contact met me opnemen via ***@masterawards.nl

Gr Rein
Thad Floryan
2013-03-25 18:32:16 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Beste Nico,
Ik zou je graag naar mijn elite laserdisc speler willen laten kijken, maar ben je gegevens kwijt. Je hebt er vorig jaar een AC3 mod opgezet.
Gr Rein
For the curious: Google language tools translation:

I'd like my elite laserdisc player want to watch, but you lost
data. You have last year AC3 mod set.

Can you contact me via ***@masterawards.nl
Graagzelfs
2013-03-26 07:10:10 UTC
Post by Thad Floryan
Post by b***@gmail.com
Beste Nico,
Ik zou je graag naar mijn elite laserdisc speler willen laten kijken,
maar ben je gegevens kwijt. Je hebt er vorig jaar een AC3 mod opgezet.
Gr Rein
I'd like my elite laserdisc player want to watch, but you lost
data. You have last year AC3 mod set.
No… It's:
I would like you to have a look at my Elite LD player but I lost your
address. You have done a AC3 mod last year.

Can you contact me via ***@masterawards.nl?

J.
Thad Floryan
2013-03-26 08:45:15 UTC
Post by Graagzelfs
Post by Thad Floryan
Post by b***@gmail.com
Beste Nico,
Ik zou je graag naar mijn elite laserdisc speler willen laten kijken,
maar ben je gegevens kwijt. Je hebt er vorig jaar een AC3 mod opgezet.
Gr Rein
I'd like my elite laserdisc player want to watch, but you lost
data. You have last year AC3 mod set.
I would like you to have a look at my Elite LD player but I lost your
address. You have done a AC3 mod last year.
Ah, good! Seems Google's language tools:

http://translate.google.com/

needs some work with Dutch. This might be a money opportunity
for someone who reads/speaks/writes both English and Dutch. :-)

I was surprised to find it worked reasonably well with German and
Russian [regarding another recent need for translations].

Thad