I modified two of my 909's several years ago, but like you, I only have
region 1 DVD's.
No reason to ever check it out. Here are the instructions, once the
player is modified:
1. Turn the DVD player on without a disc in it.The front panel will read:
2. On the remote control, press "MENU"
3. The on-screen display should show "OSD"
4. Press "1" on the remote to choose "Initial"
5. Press "DISPLAY" on remote.
6. You should see the region code that the player is currently set to.
7. Press "CONDITION" on remote.
8. Press 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 to change the region code to the one you want.
9. The on-screen menu should display the following message:
OSD Region: 1 (or Region 2 or Region 3 ...etc.) Ver: 1.036/8 AVI: 3.31
10. Press "MENU" on remote control to confirm change.
At step 5 and 9, the 909 that I checked shows Ver: 1.378/8 AVI: 3.31,
so evidently, the Version is not critical. I also did the macrovision mod,
I didn't do the DTS mod since I have a DVL-91 and several other players
that handle DTS.
Mike in Sacramento
Post by firstname.lastname@example.org
I have an old DVL-909 and I think I recall (way back when) that this
player is both region-free (for DVDs) and Macrovision free, as well.
I don't believe I have any DVDs other than R1 - can someone tell me
how I can tell if this players has both of those hacks in place? Is
there something on the menu or some other way to tell?
Thanks . . .